Roll up your sleeves, fire up your grill and grab your jars – July is National Horseradish Month and there’s still time to celebrate. To mark the “hottest” month of the year, Dennis’ Horseradish is making things super simple for Canadians — two must-try recipes for your summer barbecue, ASAP!
But before diving into the bold yet simple recipes, let’s spread a layer of rich background into the enigmatic vegetable that is at the root of a new, niche food movement — the next-generation condiment.
Horseradish, along with mustard, cauliflower, kale and wasabi, is a root vegetable from the cabbage family. It was first cultivated in Eastern Europe and North Africa but started to be used as an accompaniment for beef and oysters in England. Horseradish sets itself apart from other condiments because of its powerful health benefits, providing key nutrients such as calcium, dietary fibre, folate, manganese, magnesium, potassium, vitamin C and zinc. Horseradish can accompany almost anything. It’s got the Midas touch in the world of food!
Dennis’ Horseradish takes the root to the next level. The small-batch brand uses roots that are locally grown with tender love and care to make seven different products in stylish, upside-down jars for all palates and meal choices. Add it to your salads, seafood and sandwiches – as well as prized meat – for an extra kick with every bite.
Now, here’s a recipe to get you up and cookin’ to celebrate National Horseradish Month this July – and beyond!
DENNIS’ BLUE CHEESE HORSERADISH HAMBURGER
PREP TIME: 5 minutes COOK TIME: 7 minutes
This simple recipe is made for those unwilling to compromise their love for blue cheese AND horseradish when preparing their favourite hamburger. Take your summer barbecue to the next level with Dennis’ Blue Cheese Horseradish Hamburgers.
- 1 ½ pound ground Ontario beef
- ½ cup Dennis Original Horseradish
- 1 tablespoon Dennis Horseradish Mustard
- 1 tablespoon tarragon
- Vegetable oil of choice
- 4 oz. crumbled Ontario blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons Dennis Original Horseradish
- In a medium bowl mix together beef, horseradish, mustard, and tarragon.
- Divide mixture into 4 evenly sized balls.
- Flatten each ball into a round patty.
- Oil a skillet and cook each burger for about 3 minutes.
- Flip the burgers and top with blue cheese. Cover and continue to cook for about 4 minutes more (medium rare).
- Once the burgers have finished cooking, serve the 2 tablespoons of Dennis Original Horseradish along with your favourite toppings and enjoy!