Wine lovers know it’s not all about Niagara-On-The-Lake when it comes to exploring Wine Country. With 48 critically acclaimed wineries and a signature off-beat vibe, Twenty-Valley offers up a unique experience with every visit. Winter in The Valley means marshmellow roasts and barrel rolling. It means fireside icewine sessions and slow falling snow. It’s slow-stewed meats and super crispy cheese along the edges of hearty soups.
Winter WineFest is a great time to visit. It brings together the area’s best food and wine, outdoors on the streets of pretty little Jordan Village. Cozy fire pits help you keep toasty, as does the wine.
So, with that in mind — here’s what our perfect winter weekend in The Valley looks like:
1. Spoil yourself a little and stay at The Inn on The Twenty. Not only is it in the heart of Jordan Village, but most rooms have a fireplace to warm your cold toes after exploring.
2. While in Jordan Village, make sure to stop in at Cave Spring Winery. Their 2014 Riesling Icewine has notes of raisins, poached pear, comb honey and candied orange zest. It’s definitely worth a try!
3. For the areas best vineyard view, head over to Flat Rock Cellars. On weekends in January, roast special sparkling wine marshmallows around their firepit and toast the winter season!
4. Between winery visits, make sure to stop in at 13th Street Bakery for a half dozen of what our Community Manager thinks is Ontario’s best butter tart. As a former judge of the Buttertart Bake-Off, she would know.
5. For dinner, head out to The Restaurant at Vineland Estates. As one of Niagara’s first winery restaurants, they know how to make your meal feel right. Enjoy dinner fireside in the 1845 farmhouse. We highly recommend the 3 or 5 course Chef’s Creative Menu.
6. In the morning, enjoy breakfast at The Inn before hitting the road. Make sure to stop into Upper Canada Cheese on your way out for some Maple Smoked Comfort Cream — a great pairing for locally-made icewine!
For more ideas on what to see and do in the Niagara Region, check out VisitNiagaraCanada.com