There is nothing like a weekend that allows you to slow things down and appreciate the little things – and our perfect weekend in Rosemont, Ontario, involves doing just that.
This sleepy little town offers a scenic background perfect for hikes and picnics, and offers a handful of restaurants ready to welcome you in for a hearty meal and an even heartier dessert.
1. Start your weekend off by checking into Hockley Valley Resort, because when we said appreciate the little things, we actually meant treat yourself to a spa day.
2. Wake up bright and early Saturday morning and get ready to shop ’til you drop at the Rosemont General Store. This historic building (built in 1862!) is filled with all kinds of homemade goodies, kitchen nick-nacks and locally made home decor and apparel – it’s the kind of place that says come in and stay awhile.
3. And stay awhile you shall – once you have filled your basket with homemade pies and tarts, we suggest staying for a bite to eat. The Rosemont Kitchen serves up locally sourced fare and we can’t think of anything better than Eggs Bendict on Saturday morning.
4. Visit the Dufferin County Museum. Trust us. You are in for an afternoon of more than just taking in an exhibit or two. The museum is situated in between scenic hills, the Dufferin County forest and their own beautiful garden, making it the perfect place to stop for a picnic – if you have any goodies left from your visit to the Rosemont General Store, you might want to do just that before heading inside to check out the ever-changing artifact displays and art exhibits.
5. Go for a hike at Mono Cliffs Provincial Park. Located along the Bruce Trail, there are several trails throughout the park including the Spillway Trail that features a canyon, and the Cliff Top trail that leads you past 30 meter cliffs.
6. All that hiking will probably make you hungry. We suggest having dinner at the Globe Restaurant, the local destination for farm-to-table cuisine and another one of Rosemont’s historic buildings.
7. We saved the best for last. Bring your perfect weekend to a close by stopping by Farmhouse Pottery for a slice of the best pie you will ever have. Though not in Rosemont, it is located just 15 minutes away and is worth adding to your weekend itinerary. The best part? This pie is baked by the Mayor of Mono herself using a decade-old recipe.
Click HERE if you’d like to know more about the mayor of Mono who hand-rolls over 7,000 pies a year.
Expect to return home feeling well-rested, well-fed, and with a few extra goodies in your trunk after your perfect weekend in Rosemont, Ontario.