If you’re looking for a change of pace for your next weekend adventure, North Glengarry offers visitors a leisurely rural experience that is perfect for those looking to wind down.
Located in Eastern Ontario, North Glengarry was originally part of the historic Glengarry County, where in 1792, many Scottish emigrants settled. To this day, North Glengarry hosts one of the largest Highland Games in North America – but that’s only one of many reasons to visit. Here’s how we would spend our perfect weekend.
1. Stop at the Quirky Carrot for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We’re not joking. Whether you’re looking for a light salad, or a heart soup and sandwich, Quirky Carrot has you covered – and, they’re Feast On® certified, so you know your meal will feature locally sourced ingredients.
Bonus: We think their date squares are the best in the province!
2. Visit the Glengarry Pioneer Museum. Opened in 1962, it includes a miniature Pioneer Village comprised of seven buildings and features the original barroom which is believed to be one of the oldest in Eastern Ontario.
3. Checkout their annual Festival of Lights. Each holiday season, Ontarian’s drive from all over to take in the shores of the Mill Pond adorned in 200,000 lights and decorations. Holiday music and special activities also take place during the festival – it is well worth the road-trip.
4. Pick up some goodies from the Alexandria Farmers’ Market. We find that Rural Ontario offers some of the best Farmers’ Markets. You’ll find handmade candles and soap, fresh fruit and vegetables, just-baked goodies and honey.
5. Explore the trails of North Glengarry. These all-season trails span 15 kilometers and are perfectly groomed for walking, cross-country skiing and snowshoeing.
6. Pick up a snack At Muir’s Bakery. Serving up traditional Scottish baked goods, Muir’s has been a staple in the town of Maxville for years.
7. Take a tour of Kirkview Farms. This family owned farm is shaking things up with their new farming model, which takes a step further into sustainable farming practices. They call it a regenerative model, and are happy to welcome you to the farm to show you what that means.
After your perfect weekend in North Glengarry you can rest assured that you will head home feeling relaxed, well-fed, and excited to come back.