If cottage country doesn’t immediately make you think of ooegy-gooey chocolate chip cookies, you are not alone.
For us, Camp Muskoka Coffeehouse, a cafe formerly located at the top of the hill on the main stretch of downtown Bracebridge is what changed that. Until November 2021, the coffeehouse was run by the folks at Camp Muskoka with all proceeds going to support the children’s summer camp and year round education leadership centre.
“We’ve sold the building and look forward to our next chapter. Camp Muskoka Summer Camp and Outdoor Education Leadership Centre continue to operate and are currently accepting reservations for 2022” said the team via Instagram post late last year.
“When we opened the Coffeehouse in 2015, our purpose was to share a little bit of “Camp Muskoka” with our community and to make a positive impact. We’ve enjoyed more than 6 years on Manitoba Street and have accomplished all we set out to achieve.”
We became obsessed with their hot-from-the-oven chocolate chip cookies on our last visit. While we’re sad to see this beloved neighbourhood staple go, we are comforted to find they have shared to cookie recipe on their website. Needless to say, we’ll be making these at home and reliving fond memories of our visits.
- 1 cup Softened Butter
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Packed Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 1/2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 3/4 teaspoons Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 18 oz. Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pre-measure ALL ingredients before mixing.
- In a mixer, combine softened butter, sugars, eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth and creamy.
- In a separate large bowl, mix the Dry Ingredients together: flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda
- Add Dry ingredients to mixer and blend until wet and dry mixes are thoroughly combined and smooth.
- Add chocolate chips and blend until chips are even throughout.
- With your fingers, place golf-ball size dough balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 9 minutes or until edges are light golden brown
For more ways to eat and play in Bracebridge: