It’s Local Food Week in Ontario!
Local Food Week is an annual celebration of the bounty of fresh, healthy food that’s grown and produced in Ontario, and the farmers who work tirelessly to ensure Ontarians have access to fresh produce year-round.
From freshly harvested veggies and fruit to free-range eggs, to farm-raised meat and poultry, there’s an abundance of tasty, nutritious food that’s grown and produced right here in Ontario. While local food tastes better and is better for you and the environment, shopping for food locally also helps independent farmers and businesses to grow, and our local communities to thrive.
Here’s how you can celebrate Local Food Week this year and support the local farmers, producers and businesses in your community and beyond:
- Fill your plates with fresh Ontario grown produce.
- Shop at a farmers’ market — some of the best food and drink can be found at your local farmers’ market! Visit farmersmarketsontario.com to find one near you.
- Learn about local produce, see what’s in season and find recipes at Foodland Ontario.
- Get takeout from a Feast On Certified restaurant. Feast On certified restaurants source at least 25% of their food from Ontario farmers and growers.
- Visit a local craft brewery, cidery, distillery or meadery – you can find a list of Ontario breweries and distilleries at ontariocraftbrewers.com.
- Visit a local winery for a tour and tasting and stock up on your favourite summer sippers. Check winecountryontario.ca for information on Ontario’s wine regions and the best wineries in the province.
- Show your love for Ontario food and share what’s on your plate using #loveONTfood across your social media networks.
SHOP LOCAL AND CELEBRATE LOCAL FOOD WEEK
JUNE 7 – JUNE 13