Did you know that Sault Ste. Marie is one of the oldest settlements in North America? For at least 2,000 years, people have lived beside the rapids of the St. Marys River. Affectionately known as The Soo, it’s the third largest city in Northern Ontario, with a population of only about 75,000.
Not only is it the perfect starting point for a Northern wilderness adventure, it stands up as an experience all on its own. Here’s where we’d eat, sleep and play in Sault Ste. Marie.
1. For a town of 75,000, The Soo certainly has a lot of good beer going on. Northern Superior Brewing Company recently opened its doors at the Canadian Bushplane Heritage Centre; and Outspoken Brewery is a local favorite for growlers and “howlers”.
2. Brace yourself train enthusiasts, there’s a stunningly beautiful one-day wilderness train excursion that leaves from The Soo. It transports you north of Sault Ste. Marie, over towering trestles, alongside pristine northern lakes, next to breathtaking granite rock formations and vast mixed forests of the Canadian Shield. It’s called the Agawa Canyon Tour Train.
3. We’re mildly obsessed with Burger Don. Besides making a mean burger – they also offer deep-fried cheese curds and Caesars piled high with the craziest garnishes. We recommened the Jalapeno Jack – double patties, classic fixings and a healthy dose of deep-fried jalapenos for some heat!
4. Want to learn to knit while you lunch? Visit the Shabby Motley. It’s a yarn shop, a café, and a dedicate space for showcasing an array of regionally made beautiful things. A great little spot to while-away the afternoon.
5. Walking along the popular riverside boardwalk is a great way to work up an appetite when visiting The Soo. At the far end, you’ll find The Mill Restaurant, The Boiler Room and their ice cream shop. Stop in for a pint of local craft and a wood-fired pizza.
7. We like to save the best for last – and The Breakfast Pig is no exception! “The Pig” is Sault Ste. Marie’s only Feast On Certified restaurant. From the crispiest hash browns to the sky high eggs benedict, The Breakfast Pig never – ever – disappoints. We come hungry and we show up often.
Looking for even more places to devour? Check out Holy Cow’s Ice Cream Parlour, Northern Twisted Pizza or Vibe Eatery!