Feast On certified since 2015, Le Select Bistro is a well-loved Toronto institution with one of the largest wine collections, a terrasse and garden, and classic French cuisine. Chef Laura Maxwell is a George Brown College graduate and a Red Seal certified Chef. She was a winner of the Ontario Hostelry Institute’s Top 30 Under 30 Award for 2012.
We asked her to contribute a recipe to the Savour Ontario collection that celebrates Ontario dairy in a big way. Here’s what she had to say:
“This salad is one of my favourites to make at the restaurant during a very busy day. It’s packed full of fresh, bold flavours which complement each other beautifully, and is satisfying—but still light—to enjoy on a hot day. The cream cheese dressing recipe is very easy to throw together, and gives you a little extra to have with veggies or crackers as a snack later on.”
GRAVLAX & SUMMER VEGETABLE SALAD WITH CHIVE CREAM CHEESE DRESSING
WHAT YOU NEED
- 8 cups fresh arugula
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cucumber, peeled and deseeded, then sliced into thin, half-moon slices
- ¼ cup capers (non-pareil are best, if you can find them)
- 200 g sustainably sourced smoked salmon or Ontario trout gravlax
- 4 tbsp chives, finely minced
- 2 sprigs dill, picked with stems removed
- 8 mint leaves, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
Pickled Shallots ingredients:
- 2 large shallots, julienned
- 60 ml white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- Salt, to taste
Chive Cream Cheese Dressing ingredients:
- 250 ml Ontario cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 4 tbsp 35% cream
- 4 tbsp plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp dill, finely chopped
- 3 sprigs chives, finely chopped
Pickled Shallots instructions:
- Bring a small frying pan to high heat and add oil.
- When oil reaches smoke point, add shallots and pinch of salt to extract moisture.
- Stirring constantly, sauté shallots until they have softened and almost translucent, but not browned.
- Add vinegar and reduce heat to medium until moisture has evaporated.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a plate in the fridge to cool before using.
Chive Cream Cheese Dressing instructions:
- Place first 3 ingredients in blender and mix to combine until smooth.
- Add the herbs and mix on low speed to combine.
- Refrigerate for up to 6 days.
Salad Assembly instructions:
- In a large bowl add chopped mint, 4 tbsp Chive Cream Cheese Dressing, 2 tbsp sherry vinegar and a pinch of salt. Mix together with a fork.
- Add in your arugula, red pepper, pickled shallots and cucumber. Toss gently to coat the vegetables.
- Distribute your salad between 4 plates. Evenly divide the remaining chives, dill and capers by sprinkling on top of each salad.
- Divide the Gravlax into 50-gram portions and arrange on each plate.
- Finish with another drizzle of the Chive Cream Cheese Dressing overtop.