Originally published by Cornwall Tourism
Public distancing measures to combat COVID-19 has meant more time at home for all of us. And for some, that’s meant more time experimenting and creating in the kitchen.
If you’re looking for some creative meal ideas, you’re in the right place! We’ve put together a list of easy-to-make recipes featuring food products from Cornwall businesses. Best of all, you can get these food items via safe delivery or contact-free pick-up!
Be a kitchen hero by whipping up some tasty creations featuring items made right here in Cornwall. Meal time has never looked better!
Rurban 1-2-3 Bread
Out of bread? Grab a can of Rurban and add some local flavour to this simple yet effective recipe!
Serves: 10 – 12 slices
Prep time: 5 minutes
1 can of Rurban beer (only 355 ml needed)
2 cups of flour
3 tablespoons of sugar
1. Mix flour and sugar, then add beer. Mix well.
2. Pour in a greased pan.
3. Bake at 375° F for 30 – 45 minutes (until toothpick inserted comes out clean).
You can spruce it up a bit too! Mix in cheese and/or bacon bits and add herbs!
Where to get Rurban beer
Rurban Brewing (412 Cumberland Street) is open Monday to Saturday from 12 pm to 5 pm. Parking lot delivery and home delivery is available. For more info, check out the Rurban Brewing Facebook page or call 613-360-0661.
Birchwood Cafe Pinwheels
These quick pastries – featuring the homemade sauces from The Birchwood Café – are easy to make and can be adapted to use whatever you have in the fridge and cupboards. Kids can help too – they’re great for both snacks and lunch with some vegetable sticks on the side!
Serves: 12 portions
Prep time: 15 minutes
1 sheet store bought puff pastry, thawed (you can also use leftover pizza dough or refrigerated crescent roll dough)
2 tablespooons Birchwood Café sauce (see topping ideas below)
0.5 cup grated or thinly sliced cheese
0.5 cup assorted toppings
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Spread pastry with sauce, leaving one inch gap at one long edge.
3. Distribute toppings evenly across pastry, sprinkle grated cheese across.
4. Roll pastry into a log with toppings on the inside and wet bare edge of pastry with water and press to seal.
5. Slice log in half, then each half into six even slices. Lay the slices flat on a baking tray lined with parchment with spiral facing up, leaving two inches between each pinwheel.
6. Bake for 30 minutes on a high rack in your oven until puffed up and golden brown. Enjoy warm from the oven!
Birchwood Café sauce & topping ideas
• Plum sauce, shredded chicken, and brie cheese
• Basil pesto, sliced cherry tomatoes, mozzarella cheese
• BBQ sauce, red onions, shredded chicken, pepperjack cheese
• Tomato sauce, pineapple, ham, mozzarella cheese
• Raspberry and ginger jam, mini marshmallows, white chocolate chips (no cheese on this one!)
Where to get Birchwood Café sauces
The Birchwood Café (109 Pitt Street) sauces are great on just about any dish! While you’re there make sure to pick up a pre-made frozen meal or two. The café is open Monday to Friday from 8 am to 4 pm. Pick up and delivery available. For more info, check out their Facebook page.
Mi Cocina Avocado and Egg Toast
Tired of the usual breakfast routine? Kickstart your day with a simple but flavourful Avocado and Egg Toast featuring the amazing salsa from Mi Cocina! It’s guaranteed to brighten your day!
Prep time: 5 minutes
1 ripe avocado
1 slice of bread
1 tablespoon of Feta cheese
Mi Cocina Medium Chipotle salsa
1. Toast bread to your liking.
2. Spread avocado on toast.
3. Sprinkle Feta cheese on toast.
4. Fry egg, season with salt and pepper.
5. Lay fried egg on toast.
6. Top your creation with Mi Cocina salsa and enjoy!
Where to get Mi Cocina
Mi Cocina’s fresh salsas can be ordered online and safe delivery is available right to your doorstep! Place your order with their online form and get ready to enjoy! Deliveries take place on Saturdays. For more info, check out the Mi Cocina Facebook page.
Caprese Salad with Smart Greens greens and Laura’s olive oil
Whip up a tasty salad featuring greens from Smart Greens and olive oil from Laura’s! Get ready for a fresh food experience! There is no need to measure and everything is to taste. Optional – top this with a protein to make it a meal!
Serves: As much as you make!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bocconcini (mini mozzarella balls)
Sweet grape or cherry tomatoes
Smart Greens basil and lettuce
Coarse ground black pepper
Flavored balsamic vinegar and olive oil drizzle from Laura’s
1. Start with a bed of fresh Smart Greens greens.
2. Add a handful of halved grape/cherry tomatoes.
3. Drain, pat dry and halve mini mozzarella balls.
4. Tear basil and top salad.
5. Sprinkle with fresh ground salt and pepper to taste (optional).
6. Drizzle generously with Laura’s balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
7. Top with a protein of your choice if desired (Prosciutto and chicken are family favourites).
8. Dig in!
Where to get Smart Greens
Smart Greens (425 Fourth Street West, Unit C) has a weekly subscription service where you can receive a bag filled with delicious, fresh greens from their Cornwall farm. Typically this consists of a variety of kale, lettuces, basil, herbs, micro greens and others. Space is limited! To register, click here and for more info, check out their Facebook page.
Where to get Laura’s balsamic vinegar and olive oil
Laura’s (1140 Brookdale Avenue) has an extensive selection of olive oil and balsamic vinegars available for contactless pickup or delivery. They have a tonne of other amazing products too! Check out their Facebook page or call 613-936-1777 for more info.
Cornwall’s rich culinary scene is part of what makes our city so great. From casual fare and classic comfort foods to tastes from around the world – and of course, amazing pizza – Cornwall’s food scene has something for everyone.
For food lovers, it’s a perfect time to show support for our great food establishments – and even try something new!
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, dozens of restaurants have shifted to offering safe delivery and take out options. Show your support by enjoying a great meal at one of our many restaurants. To make it easier to decide, we’ve put together a list of restaurants offering delivery and take out services – click here to check it out!