This week, we’re sharing a lovely little fennel and tomato recipe for all the canning fiends out their.A� Not a fiend (yet)?A� We love these instruction from Bernadin on canning.A�Preserve the taste of summer all winter long with this fresh and delicious pasta sauce!
“Two things I love about August: tomatoes and sunshine.A� That’s what this pasta sauce tastes like.A� In the cold dredges of winter, I twist open a jar and instantly smell summer.A� The fennel adds a nice sweetness, especially nice if your tomatoes got a little too much rain like mine. A�So, what are you waiting for?A� Start canning!”
Recipe: Tomato Fennel Sauce
Summary: Great with any short pasta–we particularly like it on gnocchi!
- 2 Ontario fennel bulbs, cored and sliced
- 2 Ontario onions, peeled and sliced
- 8 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons whole fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1lb whole Ontario tomatoes, crushed or blended down
- 1 tbsp Ontario tomato paste
- Preheat the oven to 450A�F.
- Combine the fennel, onion, garlic, oil, chili flakes, fennel seeds, salt, and pepper in a roasting dish and roast, tossing once or twice during cooking, for 15 minutes or until golden.
- In a pan, brown tomato paste in a bit of olive oil. Once colour darkens, add fresh tomatoes.
- Stir tomatoes into roasted fennel and aromatics, combining well. Roast 5 to 10 minutes more, until the fennel is tender and starting to brown.
- Pulse the mixture in a food processor until smooth.
- Proceed with preferred canning instructions!
Preparation time: 1 hour(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
About Taste Tested
From the farm to the table, it�s easy to be inspired by Ontario�s endless parade of edibles. WithA�?Taste Tested?, OCTA�s staff are sharing their freshest finds and dishing outA�their favourites of the season. A�A�Come discover what�s on our table � literally!