Did you know Grey, Bruce and Simcoe Counties are experiencing a beverage renaissance? The word renaissance is key here. Once a hotbed for bootleggers during Prohibition, the area is once again chalk full of spirit(s)!
Summer is a great time to explore the region as many of the breweries and cideries have tastings rooms open later and are pouring seasonal treats.
You’re first step is to pick up a map and start planning! Here are our favorite stops along the route.
90 King St E, Thornbury
Stop by Thornbury (eat pizza!) and try the limited edition Cranberry cider from the folks behind Ontario’s top selling cider. It’s tart, refreshing and perfect on their sprawling sun-soaked patio.
499 First St, Collingwood
Northwinds, oh, Northwinds, how we love thee; let us count the ways. Our love affair with this micro-brewery isn’t ending anytime soon. Between the chewy, salty beer pretzels and sessional brews, it’s always top of mind when we’re hitting the road in search of a delicious weekend.
52 14th Ave, Hanover
This Honover brewery brews some seriously strong beer. Owener Charles MacLean brews it as a tribute to his time spent in England, riding motorcycles and tending bar in countryside pubs. They just opened a new bottle shop and now offer tours by appointment. Stop by a pick up a bottle or two — We love the Arm Chair Scotch Ale!
Cheese lovers take note: This winery/cidery serves a mean cheese board. It pairs perfectly with their sparkling, aptly named Viva Vidal! We suggest setting aside an hour or two for a stroll through the vineyard before settling in for a flight on the patio.
We flock to their cavernous brewery in the summer months for two big reasons: the made to order grapefruit-wheat radlers (!) and the Majestic Saison, only available in the taproom. It’s quite fruity with a moderate banana nose, flavours of orange and clove and some light peppery spice. Sounds like summer to us, no?
Two words: the view! This estate winery turned part cidery offers up some of the most stunning views of the area. Sit back and enjoy it on the deck or in one of many red muskoka chairs strewn across the property… with a mandatory glass of cider in hand, naturally!
But those are just a few of the stops along the way! There’s also Barnstormer Brewing Co., Beaver Valley Orchard & Cidery, The Collingwood Brewery, Creemore Springs Brewery, Duxbury Cider Co., Hoity Toity Cellars, Kilannan Brewing Co., Neustadt Springs Brewery, Outlaw Brew Co. Redline Brewing, Tobermory Brewing Co. , Corkscrew City Tour (Owen Sound), Grey Roots Museum & Archives , Simcoe County Museum and the
South Grey Museum to stop at. You can see why the area is quickly becoming a hot spot for local drink lovers!
When traveling, be sure to get your passport stamped for a chance to win! The folks behind the trail are running their annual contest again. Details below.
Saints & Sinners Passport Contest
The contest begins at member locations on June 13th and runs through October 9th. Collect a sticker at each location you visit and return your completed map with 10 or more stickers for your chance to win great prizes!
FIRST PRIZE: VALUE $700
- Winners of choice of one (1) of the following two (2) experiences:
- a personal 2.5 hour tour and beer making experience for 2 with the brewmaster at Side Launch Brewing in Collingwood, or
- a personal 2.5 hour tour and cider-making experience at Coffin Ridge Winery in Annan
- overnight stay for 2 at Craigleith Manor Bed and Breakfast (must be redeemed by March 31, 2017)
- a $75 gift certificate from Bruce Wine Bar in Thornbury, plus winner�s choice of any two (2) additional Bruce Wine Bar branded merchandise items (i.e.: tee-shirt, ball cap)
- certificate for a tour and tasting for two (2) at Georgian Hills Vineyards in Victoria Corners including 2 flights of wine
- a gift basket of Saints & Sinners branded merchandise
SECOND PRIZE: VALUE $400
- Brewery tour for four (4) by Free Spirit Tours including return transportation from Collingwood or Blue Mountain to all three stops:
- a tasting for 4 at Side Launch Brewing
- a tour and tasting at Collingwood Brewery
- 1 flight of beer per person and fresh pretzels at Northwinds Brewhouse & Eatery
- a gift basket of selected merchandise from the three breweries
- 4 Saints & Sinners tee shirts and 4 tumblers
THIRD PRIZE (3 TO BE WON) VALUE (PER PRIZE PACKAGE) $250
- One of three (3) gift baskets of Saints & Sinners branded merchandise with additional items from Saints & Sinners trail Participating Members