Kitchen Assistant and Café Coordinator (FullTime, 4 days/week)
ABOUT THE STOP:
The Stop Community Food Centre is a leading-edge and nationally respected non-profit organization that has been providing innovative programs and advocacy to address problems of hunger and inequality for over 35 years (www.thestop.org). The Stop’s mission is to increase access to healthy food in a manner that maintains dignity, builds health and community and challenges inequality.
The Stop is seeking an experienced person to fulfill two roles across two locations. One role is the Kitchen Assistant at 1884 Davenport Rd, responsible for working with the Community Chef to prepare meals for our Healthy Beginnings on Wednesdays and our Drop-in lunch service on Thursdays. The other role is Café Coordinator, running our Market Café at the Green Barn. Baking and prep will be done on Friday, in preparation for the Market Café which opens early Saturday morning.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee the planning and preparation of two hot lunches per week (Healthy Beginnings and Drop-in program).
- Support the Community Chef to ensure that all kitchen volunteers are oriented, trained, supervised, supported, evaluated and recognized.
- As time allows, support general Stop and community events by preparing food and representing the Stop in collaboration with the Community Chef.
- Work with Community Chef to ensure cleanliness, maintenance, and organization of kitchen and storage facilities on both sites
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS:
- Create a weekly menu that features ingredients from vendors, as well as local and seasonal produce
- Oversee the meal production and orient, train and supervise Café Assistant and volunteers
- Communicate with Green Barn staff to work with available produce to create weekly menu
- Work with Green Barn staff, farmers and artisans to order product on a weekly basis
- Administration including invoicing, staff scheduling, budgeting, cash float to ensure café is operating as a successful business
- Demonstrated ability to cook large volumes of healthy and tasty food in a professional kitchen setting
- Demonstrated knowledge of diverse foods and cooking techniques
- Understanding of and experience running a small scale business or social enterprise an asset
- Current Toronto Public Health Food Handler’s Certificate
- Ability to speak another language relevant to our neighbourhood is an asset (Spanish, ASL …)
- Excellent organizational, communication and skills
- Ability to do basic administration work such as food ordering, timesheets and emailing
- Ability to work well within a diverse community
- Experience with conflict resolution, de-escalation skills
- Ability to lift heavy objects
- Proven capacity to work in a self-directed manner and collaborate with others.
- Must be a creative, energetic, flexible, self-motivated, and detail-oriented professional.
- Demonstrated interest in and commitment to social justice issues.
Immediately Salary range: $34,800 – 40,000 (this amount is prorated for 30 hours/week) + generous benefits package
30 hours/week Please include a cover letter and resume to the attention of Hiring Committee. Applications are being accepted through the Charity Village website.
Applications must be received by July 5, 2018 at 5:00pm. No faxes, emails or phone calls please. Interviews will take place weeks of July 9th and 16th.
The Stop Community Food Centre is committed to employment equity and encourages applicants from equity seeking groups. We regret that only those applicants being considered will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in The Stop.