Come barbeque season, we know folks get pretty excited about the meat. When your sides are this good though, trust me — they’ll steal the spot light!
New potatoes are a special late spring treat. Unlike “baby” potatoes, which are just little versions of their big brothers, new potatoes are have thin, wispy skins and a crisp, waxy texture. They are young potatoes. They’re sweeter because their sugar has yet to be converted into starch. Jersey Royals are the popular variety, and their appearance in late May heralds the beginning of the summer.
- 2½ pounds Ontario new potatoes, scrubbed
- 4 large Ontario eggs
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 3 tbsp Ontario apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp whole grain mustard, we like Kozlik's triple crunch for this one!
- 1 tsp Ontario maple syrup
- ⅓ cup Pristine Gourmet Virgin Sunflower Oil
- 1 cup Ontario dill leaves with tender stems
- 3 tbsp coarsely chopped dill pickles
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 2 Ontario radishes
- Boil new potatoes, covered, in a large pot of salted water until tender, 20–30 minutes, depending on size. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook eggs in boiling water until whites are set and yolks are still slightly soft, 7 minutes. Drain; transfer eggs to a bowl of ice water and chill until cold. Drain and peel; set eggs aside.
- Toast mustard seeds in a dry small skillet over medium-low heat, tossing constantly, until seeds start to dance in the pan, about 1 minute.
- Shake vinegar, mustard, oil and maple in a mason jar.
- Halve potatoes and add to bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add half your pickles, chives and dill, toss to coat. Transfer to a platter. Halve reserved eggs and tuck in between potatoes. Top with radish slices and the remaining pickles, chives, and toasted mustard seeds.
About Taste Tested
From the farm to the table, it�s easy to be inspired by Ontario�s endless parade of edibles. With ?Taste Tested?, OCTA�s staff are sharing their freshest finds and dishing out their favourites of the season. Come discover what�s on our table � literally!