The weather outside may be warming, but this harsh winter season has still got us chilled. A� This week, we’re kicking this thaw into high gear with a rich and fiery bowl of venison chili.
“Chili is one of those dishes that can be done a zillion ways, and a recipe that never needs to be assembled the same way twice. A�Vegetarian. Beef and bean. A�Chunky, spicy, creamy, slow-cooked, quick, or even eat-the-bowl deliciousness – the possibilities are endless! A�For this batch, I went classic with a twist. A�The wild venison is lean yet full of flavour, while the coffee and dark ale create a rich sauce, kicked up by as few or as many peppers as you like. A�The best bit for me though is the minimal prep time. A�Chop your veggies, brew the coffee, throw it in all in your stewing pot and watch it bubble to delicious.”
Recipe: Venison Chili
Serve with a few slices of crusty bread and grated, aged Ontario cheddar for topping.
- 1 lb Ontario ground venison
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 medium Ontario onions, chopped
- 3 cloves Ontario garlic, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 can Ontario dark beer, plus more for sipping (I usedA�Hockley Dark)
- 1 cup strong Ontario roasted coffee
- 2 (6 oz) cans tomato paste
- 1 can beef broth
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 1/2 tbsp chili sauce
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp cocoa
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 (15 oz) cans kidney beans
- 4 Ontario chili peppers, chopped
- Heat oil.
- Cook onions, garlic, and meat until just brown. Venison dries out quicker than beef, be sure not to overcook here
- Add tomatoes, beer, coffee, tomato paste, and beef broth.
- Add spices and stir in 2 cans of kidney beans and the peppers.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours (cue beer).
- Add remaining cans of kidney beans and simmer for another 30 minutes.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 2 hour(s) 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8
About Taste Tested
From the farm to the table, it�s easy to be inspired by Ontario�s endless parade of edibles. WithA�?Taste Tested?, OCTA�s staff are sharing their freshest finds and dishing outA�their favourites of the season. A�Come discover what�s on our table � literally!