Chef Shaun Edmonstone knows his way around a cast iron pan — almost as well as an apple orchard. His restaurant, Bruce Wine Bar is in apple county after all! Now you can make a taste of his place at home with this amazing Ontario veal recipe.
“Amazing wood-fired pizzas are just the beginning of what makes Bruce Wine Bar so great. They know they couldn�t serve up the best fare possible, without the support of the best local suppliers. From honey to duck to Ocean Wise trout and of course, apples — they’e serving the best of Grey & Bruce County food and hospitality. Paired with VQA wines, craft beer and ciders, it’s an evening you’re sure to remember.”
- 4 CENTRE-CUT ONTARIO VEAL CHOPS
- KOSHER SALT AND PEPPER, TO TASTE
- 1 ONTARIO WHITE ONION, DICED
- 4 ONTARIO GALA APPLES, PEELED & DICED
- 2 TBSP (30 ML) BRANDY
- 1 TSP (5 ML) FRESH CHOPPED THYME
- 1 TBSP (15 ML) ONTARIO APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
- 2 TBSP (30 ML) VEGETABLE OIL
- 1 FRESH SPRIG OF THYME
- 2 ONTARIO GARLIC CLOVES, CRUSHED
- 1 TBSP (15 ML) ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR
- 1 TSP (5 ML) BUTTER
- 1 CUP (250 ML) ONTARIO VEAL STOCK
- 1 OZ (30 ML) ONTARIO MAPLE SYRUP
- PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 400F (200C). SEASON VEAL CHOPS WITH SALT AND BLACK PEPPER.
- PRE-HEAT A LARGE SAUTÉ PAN. ADD BUTTER AND HEAT UNTIL IT FOAMS. ADD ONION AND COOK UNTIL TRANSLUCENT. ADD APPLES AND
- SAUTÉ FOR 4-5MIN. ADD BRANDY TO DEGLAZE. CAREFULLY IGNITE THE LIQUID IN THE PAN TO FLAME THE ALCOHOL. THE PROCESS IS
- COMPLETE WHEN THE FLAME GOES OUT. ADD THE CHOPPED THYME AND VINEGAR. REDUCE FOR 5 MIN ON LOW HEAT. FINISH BY SEASONING
- WITH SALT AND
- PEPPER TO TASTE. SET ASIDE.
- HEAT LARGE OVEN SAFE PAN. ADD OIL. PLACE VEAL CHOPS IN HOT PAN AND SEAR ON ONE SIDE FOR 2-3 MIN OR UNTIL GOLDEN BROWN. FLIP
- AND ADD THYME AND CRUSHED GARLIC CLOVES. REPEAT THE BROWNING THE OTHER SIDE. DRAIN OFF THE EXCESS OIL AND PLACE THE PAN
- IN THE PREHEATED OVEN FOR 3-4 MINUTES.
- REMOVE THE CHOPS AND PLACE ON A RACK TO REST, RESERVING ANY PAN JUICES IN THE PAN FOR THE NEXT STEP. PLACE THE PAN BACK
- OVER MEDIUM HEAT. ADD FLOUR AND BUTTER TO RESERVED PAN JUICES. COOK FOR 1 MINUTE. ADD VEAL STOCK AND STIR UNTIL SMOOTH.
- ADD MAPLE SYRUP AND REDUCE TO DESIRED CONSISTENCY.
- TO SERVE, SPOON A QUARTER OF THE SAUCE OVER VEAL CHOP. TOP WITH TABLESPOON OF SAVOURY APPLE RELISH. ENJOY!
About Taste Tested
From the farm to the table, it�s easy to be inspired by Ontario�s endless parade of edibles. With ?Taste Tested?, OCTA�s staff are sharing their freshest finds and dishing out their favourites of the season. Come discover what�s on our table � literally!