Quick is our mantra when it comes to cooking mid-week. That doesn’t mean you need to sacrifice though. These Ontario turkey lettuce wraps and adaptable, easy and most all — speedy! You’ll gobble ‘em up.
“There are six thousand and one recipes online for lettuce wraps — and quite frankly, i’d likely love them all. This ‘recipe’ is less about the ingredients and more about the technique. Warm protein is cooked in a sticky sweet & spicy sauce then tucked into a leaf of crunchy green lettuce and topped with fresh vegetables. You can serve all the ingredients in little bowls and people make their own. Think taco night, but healthier. They’re all season because they pair best with greenhouse loving Ontario vegetables like crunchy cucumbers, crisp peppers and colourful tomatoes!”
- 12 ounces ground Ontario turkey (or shredded leftover white & dark meat!)
- 2 teaspoons Pristine Gourmet cold-pressed canola oil
- 8 ounces Ontario button mushrooms, chopped
- 3 Ontario green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Ontario maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 Ontario greenhouse cucumber, sliced
- 2 Ontario greenhouse yellow tomatoes
- 2 birds eye chilies
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 head of boston, butter or iceberg lettuce
- For the filling, brown mushrooms in the oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add turkey and saute until no longer pink.
- Add scallions and garlic. Cook until the mushrooms soften.
- Add soy sauce, maple, sesame oil and vinegar to pan. Stir well while cooking for one minute. Remove from the heat. Add sriracha to taste, stir to combine.
- Serve the turkey mixture with the lettuce leaves and greenhouse vegetables, herbs and fresh chilies for lettuce wrap assembly.
- If using left over turkey, add after sauce has thickened just to 'heat through'.
About Taste Tested
From the farm to the table, it�s easy to be inspired by Ontario�s endless parade of edibles. With ?Taste Tested?, OCTA�s staff are sharing their freshest finds and dishing out their favourites of the season. Come discover what�s on our table � literally!