We asked Chef Evelyne Gharibian of Hearty Catering to help us celebrate the humble Sweet Potato — and boy did she deliver!
Hearty Catering has been “green” from the begin; they use locally grown and organic food as the major component in all their cooking. That’s partly why they’re such great ambassadors of the Feast On program. Want a taste? Find them at the Evergreen Brick Works Saturday Market!
For this recipe, Chef Evelyne turns a typical poutine on it’s head with a rich mushroom gravy and earthy sweet potatoes.
- 3 large Ontario sweet potatoes, peeled and cure into match-sticks
- 1/2 cup Pristine Gourmet Ontario sunflower oil
- 1/2 Ontario onion, diced
- ¼ cup brown rice flour
- Splash gluten-free tamari
- 1 sprig fresh Ontario rosemary
- 1 ½ cup water
- 1 ½ Ontario Yellow Onion, sliced into rings
- 1 pound Ontario mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bunch of Ontario spinach, roughly chopped if leaves are large
- ½ cup shredded Ontario cheddar
- ½ cup shredded Ontario Mozzarella
- For the fries, heat oven to 350 degrees. Splash sunflower oil over julienne sweet potatoes, toss to coat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bake until crisp approximately 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, over medium heat, cook onions in splash of sunflower till soft and translucent. Coat with sifted brown rice flour. Cook until flour is toasted. Add fresh rosemary, stir for 1 minute. Add tamari and water. Stir well. Simmer slightly to thicken. Press through a sieve and set aside.
- In a separate pan, heat splash of sunflower oil over medium high heat. Cook sliced onions until soft and translucent. Add mushrooms, cook till soft. Set aside.
- To assemble, add fries to a deep bowl. Top with mushroom mixture and gravy, then cheese and shredded spinach.
Join the conversation on Pinterest! Each time you submit a recipe that features the current all-star veggie or fruit of the month, you’ll be entered into the monthly prize draw � For March you can win a $100 Gift Card for Hearty Catering!
About Taste Tested
From the farm to the table, it�s easy to be inspired by Ontario�s endless parade of edibles. With ?Taste Tested?, OCTA�s staff are sharing their freshest finds and dishing out their favourites of the season. Come discover what�s on our table � literally!