This week, Julia’s taking the cake with a very pear-y fall dessert!
“Coffee isn’t always a must for me…but coffee cake? Yes please! This warm, spicy cake, whose buttery batter comes from this Foodland Ontario recipe, is studded with pears picked at the height of perfection. A�It gets even better on the second, third or even fourth day…if it lasts that long! A�Hosting a coffee klatsch? This recipe easily doubles to accommodate a crowd.”A�
Recipe: Spiced Pear Yogurt Cake
The fruit used here is merely a starting point – swap in apples, quinces, frozen wild blueberries or add a swirl of maple syrup to the batter!
- 1/2 cup plus 1 TBSP Ontario butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 large, ripe Ontario pears, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cup Ontario flour
- 2 Ontario eggs
- 1 cup Ontario yogurt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F and butter 8×8″ baking pan.
- Cream together 1/2 cup butter, granulated sugar and 1/4 cup brown sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Incorporate yogurt and flour mixture to the batter, alternating with a third of each mixture at a time.
- Add in diced pears.
- In small bowl, combine remaining tablespoon of butter, 1/4 cup of brown sugar and spices. Time to get your hands dirty – use your fingers to mix ingredients together and create a crumble.
- Spoon half of the batter into the baking pan. Evenly distribute the crumble and spoon the remaining batter over the top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12
About Taste Tested
From the farm to the table, it�s easy to be inspired by Ontario�s endless parade of edibles. WithA�?Taste Tested?, OCTA�s staff are sharing their freshest finds and dishing outA�their favourites of the season. A�Come discover what�s on our table � literally!