Ahoy der mateys! A�This week, we’re reeling in a delicious little recipe for smoked whitefish salad fit for a king. A�Ain’t no trout about it, this one is sure to be a hit at your next party.
“While I may have grown up stomaching smoked mackerel — Whitefish is by far my favorite Ontario lakefish. A�When done right, it’s full of flavour yet delicate with that perfect flaky texture that’s magically not dry. A�It lends itself beautifully to smoking, as the guys at Hooked Inc. & Fisherfolk will tell you — and bonus, it’s Ocean Wise certified! A�This little salad makes a great open faced sandwich, but also dresses up nice for an evening affair — just add blini!”
Recipe: Smoked Whitefish Salad
Summary: I’m not a big mayonnaise fan, but if you are, feel free to add a half a cup and remove most of the oil. As always, get creative and add you favorite herbs or pickles to the mix!
- One 2lb smoked Lake Huron whitefish, skin & bones removed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Ontario dill
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Ontario chives
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Ontario red onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Ontario celery leaves
- Juice of 2 to 3 lemons
- A? cup cold pressed Ontario sunflower oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- To serve: sweet potato blini, rye bread, bagels or pumpernickel bread
- Combine all the salad ingredients in a large bowl and mix them together thoroughly with your (clean!) hands.
- Add more lemon juice and salt to taste, if needed.
- To serve, place a heaping portion of the whitefish salad onto one half of the bagel/blini/pumpernickel.
- Season with pepper to taste, sprinkle with the extra chives and dill.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
About Taste Tested
From the farm to the table, it�s easy to be inspired by Ontario�s endless parade of edibles. WithA�?Taste Tested?, OCTA�s staff are sharing their freshest finds and dishing outA�their favourites of the season. A�Come discover what�s on our table � literally!