Is there anything better than good fried chicken?A� Crispy, crunchy, salty battered skin and moist buttermilk-brined chicken hiding underneath?A� This recipe is a picnic lovers dream–we dare you not to love it!
“Fried chicken just screams hot summer days for me.A� It’s great for picnics or southern inspired lazy patio brunch sessions.A� I spike mine with a half sriracha, half maple mix after frying at breakfast–but at lunch, this potato salad is king!“
Recipe: Skillet-Fried Chicken
- 2 tbsp salt, divided
- 3 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- chili flakes to taste
- 1lb Ontario chicken, ask your butcher to chop it up into 8-10 pieces
- 3 cups Ontario buttermilk
- 1 large Ontario egg
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Ontario canola oil, approx. 2L for frying
- Mix 1 tbsp salt, 2 tsp black pepper, smoked paprika, chili flakes and buttermilk in a bowl. Place chicken pieces in bowl, cover, and chill overnight.
- Next day, remove chicken, drain away half (approx. 1.5 cups) of buttermilk mixture.
- Whisk egg and 1/2 cup water into mixture.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, cornstarch, remaining 1 tbsp salt, and remaining 1 tbsp. pepper in a shallow baking dish.
- Pour oil into a 10″�12″ cast-iron skillet to a depth of 3/4″.
- Heat over medium heat until chopstick placed in oil sends up bubbles–or thermometer registers 350A�.
- Set up a draining rack or paper toweled plate beside fry station.
- Working with 1 piece at a time (use 1 hand for wet ingredients and the other for dry ingredients), dip chicken in buttermilk mixture, allowing excess to drip back into bowl. Dredge in flour mixture; tap against bowl to shake off excess.
- Place 5 pieces of chicken in skillet. Fry chicken, turning with tongs every 1�2 minutes and adjusting heat to maintain a steady temperature of 300A��325A�, until skin is deep golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of chicken registers 165A�, about 10 minutes for wings and 12 minutes for thighs, legs, and breasts.
- Using tongs, remove chicken from skillet, allowing excess oil to drip back into skillet; transfer chicken to prepared rack/paper towel station.
- Repeat with remaining chicken pieces; let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Preparation time: 20 mins + 1 day
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
About Taste Tested
From the farm to the table, it�s easy to be inspired by Ontario�s endless parade of edibles. WithA�?Taste Tested?, OCTA�s staff are sharing their freshest finds and dishing outA�their favourites of the season. A�Come discover what�s on our table � literally!