It’s New Years Day — Aunt Sue, her husband and their five kids are asleep in the living room while Grandma is snoring in the guest room. Your job is to make breakfast for this brood and yours, stat. Well, lucky for you — Chef Judy at The Table Food Community Centre has shared her recipe for large format Shashuka, perfect for a crowd the morning after.
“Chef Judy and her team at The Table serve healthy, delicious dinners 3 days per week to community members, mostly with low incomes. While they grow a lot of their own food in their community run garden and greenhouse, they also purchase from and support the producers growing amazing produce within a 50km of the centre. Come autumn, they preserve that bounty and supplement from Ontario wide small farms. Their goal is to ensure that everyone in Perth and the surrounding community has enough safe, good quality food to have a healthy life. The Table Community Food Centre is the only Feast ON designee of its kind.”
- ¼ cup Kricklewood Sunflower Oil
- 2 cups chopped Ontario onion
- 2 tsp minced Ontario garlic
- 1½ tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ cup chopped fresh green chili
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 2 jars preserved Ontario tomatoes or 28 oz cans good quality diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¼ cup chopped Ontario cilantro
- 2 tbsp chopped Ontario flat leaf parsley
- 1 cup frozen Ontario corn
- 1 cup Ontario shredded larger leaf kale (ribs removed)
- 8 Ontario eggs
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Crumbled Milkhouse Farm and Dairy Feta Cheese
- Heat oil in a large, heavy-high sided pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook a few minutes to soften.
- Add garlic and cook a few minutes more.
- Add paprika and cumin, cooking until fragrant.
- Add green chilies, thyme and tomatoes.
- Reduce heat if necessary and simmer 15-20 minutes. Longer if tomatoes are really juicy!
- Season with sugar and salt to taste.
- Stir in cilantro and parsley.
- Sprinkle with corn and kale.
- Gently break the eggs on the surface, season with pepper, sprinkle with feta and cover.
- Cook 10-15 minutes until eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Scoop 2 eggs with a good amount of the tomato mixture into a low sided bowl and serve with crusty bread or rice and a crisp salad.
About Taste Tested
From the farm to the table, it�s easy to be inspired by Ontario�s endless parade of edibles. With ?Taste Tested?, OCTA�s staff are sharing their freshest finds and dishing out their favourites of the season. Come discover what�s on our table � literally!