Light summer suppers seem like a distant memory at this time of year, but that doesn’t mean you should be skipping your salad course. A�In the ring this week is a salad recipe that puts up a fight!
“Sometimes, lettuce just isn’t enough. A�Not only does this salad pack a hearty autumn punch, but it’s got two dressings–that’s right, TWO dressings. A�This ain’t your ordinary salad. A�This salad – itA�does what it chooses, when it chooses, where it chooses. A�It answers to no one…except maybe your fork.”
Recipe: Roast Squash, Speck & Watercress Salad
From butternut to sugar pumpkin, feel free to sub any seasonal squash into this recipe.
- 1 whole Ontario acorn squash, cleaned and cut into wedges
- 1 tsp Ontario cold pressed Canola oil
- 1 bunch of Ontario watercress
- 4 slices of Ontario speck or proscuitto (you’ve tried Pingue, right?)
- 2 tbsp Ontario maple syrup
- 1 tsp Sriracha
- 2 tbsp Ontario cows milk yogurt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Toss cleaned squash in canola oil, season with salt, and arrange in single layer across half a cookie sheet.
- Roast squash for 40 minutes flipping once halfway through cooking, or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, whisk yogurt, olive oil, and lemon juice together in small bowl. Set aside.
- Mix sriracha and maple syrup in small bowl. Set aside.
- Once done, lay 4 pieces of speck on baking sheet in single layer and continue baking for 4 minutes until crisp.
- To assemble, spoon yogurt sauce on large plate. Layer squash, crispy speck and watercress in alternating layers in the center of plate. Drizzle with spicy maple sriracha sauce to finish.
- Serve immediately, while warm.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 2
About Taste Tested
From the farm to the table, it�s easy to be inspired by Ontario�s endless parade of edibles. WithA�?Taste Tested?, OCTA�s staff are sharing their freshest finds and dishing outA�their favourites of the season. A�Come discover what�s on our table � literally!