Popsicles have a special place in our hearts. Sure, we love our soft serve and classic scoops — but there’s something about popsicles that hearkens back to those lazy summer days of our childhood.
As adults though, the super sugary treats of our childhood are a little too intense. Instead, we opt for flavours like herbal tea, gin & tonic and rhubarb-rose to keep us cool. Making adult popsicles is easy as pie — especially with beautiful, Ontario-sourced tea blends from Pluck Teas. Here’s the recipe and below, our favorite combos!
- 3 cups of water
- Your favourite Pluck tea
- 2 tbsp maple syrup, or honey to taste
- Thinly sliced fresh fruit, berries, herbs, edible flowers, or yogurt as desired
- Brew a fresh pot of tea and sweeten to taste.
- Chill in the fridge. If you’re in a rush, make the tea double strength and add an equal amount of ice to cool it quickly.
- Pour the liquid into your favourite popsicle mold and freeze.
- To make layered popsicles, fill the molds a third of the way at a time, allowing each layer to freeze before pouring the next. Try layering tea with yogurt.
- To make gourmet popsicles, freeze the liquid until it’s slushy and then add fresh berries, edible flowers or mint leaves, stirring with a skewer until evenly distributed.
- Use a few different varieties for a colourful presentation.
- Boozy pops are a thing, and they’re basically the answer to our happy hour prayers. Alas, for the pops to freeze -- don't get to heavy handed! Alcohol has a lower freezing point than fruit juice and other pop ingredients, much lower than our home freezers can manage. Even a little booze will interfere with the way popsicles freeze and too much actually keeps them in a permanent state of slush. You should engineer your pops with 20% or less total alcohol. It works out to about 1 shot in every cup of tea.
Once you’ve for the method down, there’s no end to the flavour combinations you can try! We asked our staff what they’re favorite are to get you inspired.
- Pluck Earl Grey Cream + Sheldon Creek Egg Nog
- Pluck Just Peachy + Maple Syrup + Sliced Peaches
- Pluck Kensington Blend + Grapefruit slices
- Pluck PEC Lavender + Lemon juice + Ontario honey
- Tonic syrup + Borage flowers + Cucumber slices + Dillon’s Gin 22
About Tasted Tested
From the farm to the table, it�s easy to be inspired by Ontario�s endless parade of edibles. With ?Taste Tested?, OCTA�s staff are sharing their freshest finds and dishing out their favourites of the season. Come discover what�s on our table � literally!