We wait all year for Mill Creek Farm Peas to hit grocery store shelves. In the coldest months, feel free to sub flash frozen Ontario peas in this recipe — but those fresh peas, they’re an extra special treat.
The Vader family of Mill Creek Farm has been growing in Prince Edward County since 1978. It wasn’t until 1988 though, that they started growing, washing, and packaging their fresh shelled peas and delivering them to local grocery stores. The peas were an instant success, and both the family and the business have continued to grow ever since.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cups fresh Ontario peas (or sub 1 cup blanched fava beans)
- 1 Ontario shallot
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 2 tbsp fresh mint, divided
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 sliced Red Fife Sourdough, toasted or grilled
- Melt butter in medium frying pan. Add shallot and cook until translucent.
- Add peas and favas. Cook, tossing regularly, until bright green. Remove from heat, add mint and lemon.
- Spoon warm mixture over grilled bread. Top with crumbled feta and serve!
About Taste Tested
From the farm to the table, it�s easy to be inspired by Ontario�s endless parade of edibles. With ?Taste Tested?, OCTA�s staff are sharing their freshest finds and dishing out their favourites of the season. Come discover what�s on our table � literally!