Happy Canada Day everyone! A�To celebrate, we’re going all Canadian — with maple, bacon and cheddar of course! A�Perfect for the long weekend — just grill and pair with an ice cold Ontario craft beer.
“A friend of mine makes these amazing burgers he’s dubbed ‘Juicy Lucys’. A�By stuffing them with cheese, he doesn’t have to deal with the ‘this is too raw, this is too cooked’ drama when feeding a crowd. A�He never has to deal with drippy burning cheese and it’s messy aftermath! A�And they’re always super, well, juicy! I’ve since adopted this ‘stuff it and roll it’ technique for all my burger grilling needs. A�This version is chalk full of Canadian flavors, perfect to celebrate another year around the sun for our delicious nation!”A�
Recipe: Maple Bacon Cheeseburgers
There’s nothing more Canadian than maple, bacon, cheddar and beer!
- 1lb Ontario ground beef
- 1/4 cup Mad Tom IPA
- 1 1/2 tbsp Ontario maple syrup
- 8 strips double smoked Perth Pork bacon
- 1 tbsp cracked black pepper
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp chili flakes
- 1 cup shredded Maple Dale cheddar
- Chop bacon in rough mince.
- Mix chopped bacon, beef, beer, maple syrup, salt, pepper and chilly flakes together in large chilled bowl.
- Divide mixture into 4 equal portions. Roll into balls, lay on tray, cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Once cold, form meat mixture into flattened rounds. In the palm of your hand, press well into center of patty.
- Carefully fill the well with 1/4 cup shredded cheddar. Using your other hand, fold the edges over, sealing the well. Roll into ball, flatten slightly and return to the fridge. Repeat with other 3 portions.
- Heat grill — we used our Big Green Egg! — to approximately 400 degrees. Grill burgers, flipping only once until they feel firm when poked.
- Garnish with your favorite toppings (more bacon?!) and serve on fresh, locally baked buns.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
About Taste Tested
From the farm to the table, it�s easy to be inspired by Ontario�s endless parade of edibles. WithA�?Taste Tested?, OCTA�s staff are sharing their freshest finds and dishing outA�their favourites of the season. A�Come discover what�s on our table � literally!