We love Chef Kevin Durkee’s creamy mac n’ cheese — especially when it’s piled high atop his super savoury turkey meatloaf! This is comfort food at it’s finest folks.
“For those of you who haven’t ventured over to Cheesewerks yet, you’re missing out! From grilled cheese to ooegy gooey fondue, there’s no better way to get comfy in the city! The local wine list and craft brews don’t hurt either.”
- 1 tbsp Ontario canola oil
- 1 large Ontario red onion, finely chopped
- 3 Ontario garlic cloves, crushed
- 750g ground Ontario Turkey
- 1 Ontario egg, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup dried breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup basil, chopped
- 1/3 cup thyme, chopped
- 3/4 lb Cavatappi pasta
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp All purpose flour
- 1 cups Milk
- ½ cup Smoked Ontario Cheddar, grated
- ¼ cup Ontario Ricotta
- Salt + Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Heat oil in frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook red onion for 4-5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Sprinkle with some salt. Cook the pasta until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In large saucepan over medium heat melt butter. Add flour and stir to combine to make a roux. Continue to cook and stir the roux, about to 2 to 3 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in milk, making sure to incorporate the roux completely into the milk. Continue to whisk mixture and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, whisking frequently, until béchamel sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Season the béchamel with 1 tsp of salt, 2 tsp of pepper and Chili flakes.
- Remove béchamel sauce from heat. Stir in ¼ cup of Smoked Cheddar and Ricotta. Mix until fully combined and smooth. Add pasta, coat completely and set aside.
- Grease oven proof dish. Line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper above edges of pan.
- Place ground turkey, egg, breadcrumbs, barbecue sauce, tomato paste, herbs and onion mixture in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into prepared dish, pressing with the back of spoon to level.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until browned and almost cooked through. Remove from oven.
- Increase temperature to 475 F.
- Spoon Mac + Cheese on top of meatloaf. Sprinkle with remaining Smoked Cheddar. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until Mac + Cheese is golden. Stand meatloaf in pan for 10 minutes. Serve cut into slices to serve.
- Like it spicy? Triple the chili flakes!
About Taste Tested
From the farm to the table, it�s easy to be inspired by Ontario�s endless parade of edibles. With ?Taste Tested?, OCTA�s staff are sharing their freshest finds and dishing out their favourites of the season. Come discover what�s on our table � literally!