This light, crunchy salad is all about what’s at the farmers’ market right now. Feel free to experiment with other root vegetables or even fruit!
Chef Kevin McKenna trained at the Niagara-on-the-Lake Culinary School, Fat Duck and Le Manoir aux Quat� Saisons in England. Since returning to Canada, Kevin helped open Earth and as one of the founders of The Group of Seven Chefs, has cooked at the James Beard House in New York – several times! Now the chef at Feast ON Certified Viamede Resort, Kevin prides himself in working closely with farms to support local producers. Producers that inspired this salad.
- 1 bunch Heirloom Baby Beets, ideally
- golden & candy cane
- 1 bunch Young rainbow Carrots, Tops Still Attached
- 1 bunch Flat Leaf Parsley
- 3 tbsp Pristine Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 TSP Pristine Gourmet Cold
- Pressed Sunflower Oil
- 3-4 tbsp Hempola Hemp Hearts
- 1 cup Cross Wind Farms Goat
- Cheese, crumbled
- Salt & Fresh Ground pepper
- Cut greens off of carrots and beets leaving approximately 1 inch of stem attached. Scrub roots thoroughly to remove all dirt paying close attention to the space near the stems. Peel Carrots and Beets, still keeping stems intact. Using a mandolin or sharp knife, slice as thin as possible into a
- salad bowl.
- Wash parsley throughly and pat dry with paper towel. Pick individual parsley leaves off the stem.
- Add to bowl with sliced beets and carrots. Season salad with sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Drizzle cider vinegar and sunflower oil to coat all vegetables. Toss lightly.
- Sprinkle Hemp Hearts over the salad and add crumbled goat cheese to finish.
- Walk around your farmers market and look for other interesting vegetables you would like to try. Ask your farmer how sweet they are and just shave into a salad. Baby white turnips and crunchy kohlrabi work very well in this light healthy salad too.
About Taste Tested
From the farm to the table, it�s easy to be inspired by Ontario�s endless parade of edibles. With ?Taste Tested?, OCTA�s staff are sharing their freshest finds and dishing out their favourites of the season. Come discover what�s on our table � literally!