This week, we’re hunkering down with something to truly stew over – a big bowl of hearty, happy-making beef stew.
“Oh the weather outside is frightful…but this beef stew is absolutely delightful! Root through your vegetable crisper and play around with some of your favourite hearty winter vegetables – I used carrots, fingerling potatoes and some beautiful button mushrooms, but there are plenty of combinations to try. A�Oh, and be sure to have some crusty bread on hand for ‘cleaning’ the bowl afterwards!”
Recipe: Hearty Beef Stew
Adapted from Martha Stewart.A�We recommend pairing this with a rustic red and adding a splash into the stew while you’re at it. A�
- 2-3 lbs Ontario stewing beef (cut in 1-2″ pieces)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 TBSP vegetable oil
- 2 TBSP all-purpose flour
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 medium Ontario onion, diced
- 1 lb Ontario fingerling potatoes, scrubbed and halved
- 1 lb Ontario carrots, cut into 2″ pieces
- 4 Ontario garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper. Shake beef to coat.
- In a dutch oven or large, oven-safe pot, heat oil over medium-high heat and brown beef in batches. Set beef aside.
- Add onion, garlic and tomato paste to pot and stir until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add beef, remaining vegetables, bay leaves and 3 cups of water to pot, scraping browned bits from the pot.
- Bring stew to a boil, then cover and place pot in oven for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from oven when beef is fork-tender and ladle into bowls.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s) 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8
About Taste Tested
From the farm to the table, it�s easy to be inspired by Ontario�s endless parade of edibles. WithA�?Taste Tested?, OCTA�s staff are sharing their freshest finds and dishing outA�their favourites of the season. A�Come discover what�s on our table � literally!