Did you know last week was Local Food Week? To celebrate, we�ve been sharing recipes from the Feast On Picnic In The Square. You can see some of the others here, and here, and here! Up next: Hawthorne’s Ontario beef and mushroom pies!
HOT TIP: This recipe goes great with a pint of Ontario craft beer! Try it this weekend… it is Ontario Craft Beer Week after all!
- 1 PACKAGE PUFF PASTRY, DEFROSTED, KEPT COLD
- 1/2 LB ONTARIO BUTTER
- 1 LARGE ONTARIO SWEET ONION, CHOPPED
- 2 CLOVES ONTARIO GARLIC, CHOPPED FINE
- 2 CUPS ONTARIO MUSHROOMS, FINELY CHOPPED
- 1 TSP DRIED THYME
- 1 TSP DRIED ROSEMARY
- 1 TSP FENNEL SEED, TOASTED
- 6 OZ ONTARIO GROUND BEEF
- 6 OZ ONTARIO BEEF KIDNEY
- 1 CUP ONTARIO VEAL STOCK
- ½ L WOODHOUSE BREWING CO. STOUT
- ½ CUP FLOUR
- In a large bowl, toss with flour, thyme, rosemary and fennel seed. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large, deep pan, melt butter. Fry chopped mushrooms until slightly brown. Once brown, add onion and garlic; sweat until soft. Remove from pan and set aside. Deglaze the pan with stout and veal stock. Arrange beef kidney and ground beef in the pan in even layer. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens. Season, remove from heat and chill.
- Roll out pastry to the size to fit a muffin pan. Cut rounds roughly 1-inch larger than muffin cups. Press pastry into each cup, chill for 30 minutes. Reroll
- pastry scraps and cut into fun shapes. Arrange on cookie sheet, chill.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Fill each pastry shell with beef filling. Bake filled shells and scraps without a lid for 35 minutes or until the edges are dark, golden and bubbling. Garnish with baked pastry scraps. Serve warm.