Bacon and eggs are hardly revolutionary, but they almost never fail to hit the spot.A� Toss in some seasonal, local bounty and you�ve got the makings for an egg-ceptional dish.
?For someone who adores food, I sure was a picky eater growing up.A� Family dinners often mirrored the dialogue of ?Green Eggs and Ham�, only with less rhymes and rarely the same happy ending.A� Veggies would have to be masked under layers of cheese or purA�ed beyond recognition in a meat sauce before I would go near it.A� Thankfully my palate has evolved over the years and green spears no longer have me running for the hills.A� Sure, there�s still a generous portion of pork fat draped over the greens, but the salty goodness merely enhances the sweet and slightly nutty flavor of the asparagus.?
Recipe: Green, Eggs & ‘Ham’
This dish is so quick and easy to throw together, why relegate it just to breakfast time?A� Perfect for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner � simple yet satisfying any time of the day!
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse the asparagus to remove any grit, then break off the tough ends and discard. Lay the spears on a 9×13 pan and liberally sprinkle with freshly ground pepper.
- Cut the slices of bacon in half crosswise and arrange evenly over the asparagus layer.
- Place the pan in the oven and cook for 10-15 minutes, depending on the thickness of the asparagus. Pro tip: for extra crispy bacon, set the oven to broil after the 10-15 minutes. Broil on high for 3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and crack two eggs on top of the bacon and asparagus. Season the eggs with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake at 400 degrees for another 3-5 minutes, depending on your preference for yolk doneness.
- Sprinkle the dish with hot sauce and dill just before serving. Best eaten fresh from the oven, but can be served at room temperature.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 2
About Taste Tested
From the farm to the table, it�s easy to be inspired by Ontario�s endless parade of edibles. WithA�?Taste Tested?, OCTA�s staff are sharing their freshest finds and dishing outA�their favourites of the season. A�Come discover what�s on our table � literally!