We know you love our Feast On restaurants and their commitment to Ontario food and drink — but did you know we certify more than just restaurants? Events, experiences and even food tours can be a part of the program.
One of our favorite unconventional designees is Madawaska Kanu Centre in near Barry’s Bay Ontario. The team at MKC take advantage of their local farm stands and artisans to create magical, locally focused, picnics for rafters and paddlers in the region. A full day on the water brings out a healthy appetite — but MKC has you covered!
In the spring, the team makes pesto out of garlic scapes to toss in pastas and slather on sandwiches. Perhaps you’ve been seeing wild-looking tendrils of garlic scapes at farmers’ markets. They’re thin, curly, with vibrantly green stalks and come into season in early summer. They’re the flower bud of the garlic plant. The bud is removed in late June to encourage the bulbs to thicken up.
- 10 Ontario garlic scapes, chopped
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup Pristine Gourmet Sunflower Oil, divided
- Small piece of unsalted Ontario butter
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Place garlic scapes in a food processor and blend. Add almonds, cheese, half the oil, and butter to blend.
- Add the remainder of the oil and, if desired, more cheese until desired consistency is achieved.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garlic Scapes are the shoots of the garlic plant. They have a lovely fresh, mild garlic favor and can be used like scallions.