We had the chance to watch Feast ON Chef Brad Long of Cafe Belong poach some beautiful Ocean Wise trout last weekend at the Evergreen Brick Works — and lucky for you — he shared the method!
“Chef Brad Long is recognized as one of the top chefs in Canada. His talents are highly acclaimed by some of the country�s toughest food critics � VQA Restaurant Awards of Excellence and Globe and Mail Top 10 restaurants of the year.
Currently Long is chef and owner of CafA� Belong and Belong Catering. He is a Co-host of the Food Network smash hit Restaurant Makeover and is currently in post-production of a new provocative food documentary.”
- 3 lbs Ontario trout filets, skin on
- 1L water
- 1 Ontario onion, chopped
- 1 clove Ontario garlic
- 1 lemon, cut into four
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 2 ribs Ontario celery (optional)
- ½ bulb Ontario fennel, chopped (optional)
- Begin by removing any remaining pin bones left in your fish filets. Tweezers work best for this job.
- Portion your trout in even, one per person pieces. Lay trout skin side down in a greased square sided pan, do not pile or overlap. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place water, onion, garlic, lemon, bay, thyme and celery/fennel, if using, in a stock pot. Bring it to a boil. Once boiled, salt generously. It should taste like a slightly too salty soup.
- Reheat (or cool) liquid to 175F – use a thermometer. Once it reaches the correct temperature pour over fish filets until all pieces are covered.
- Place pan in preheated oven and bake for 4-7 minutes. Chef Brad recommends a medium rare fish and cooks it less time. For a well done piece of fish, use the full 7 minutes.
- To serve, gently lift the portion of fish from the broth with a wide, flexible fish spatula. Briefly drain on a clean cloth and then onto the plate.
- Chef Brad recommends serving this beautiful, fresh fish with a salad and simple vinaigrette.
About Taste Tested
From the farm to the table, it�s easy to be inspired by Ontario�s endless parade of edibles. With ?Taste Tested?, OCTA�s staff are sharing their freshest finds and dishing out their favourites of the season. Come discover what�s on our table � literally!