Recipe: Classic Chicken Soup
You can ‘spike’ this soup anyway you wish. Sub the lemon juice + fresh dill with ginger + cilantro or chopped canned tomatoes + basil + white beans. Get creative!
- 1 Ontario chicken carcass
- 2 Ontario carrots, chopped
- 4 stalks Ontario celery, cut in 3 inch pieces
- 2 small Ontario onions, cut in four
- 1 Ontario leek, cut in half
- 5 black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs of fresh Ontario thyme
- pinch of saltSPIKE IT:
- 1/3 cup fresh Ontario dill, chopped
- Juice + zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- Cover carcass, carrots, celery, onion, leek, spices and herbs with cold water.
- Bring to boil on high heat, then seduce to simmer.
- Simmer for 1-2 hours, periodically skimming ‘foam’ and ‘grit’ off the surface.
- After 1-2 hours, remove carcass, celery, onion, leek, and herbs.
- Bring base back up to a boil. Add orzo and boil until pasta is soft.
- Remove from heat, add lemon and dill.
- Serve and enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 6