Happy BBQ season everyone! We know you’ve likely got a slew of burgers, sausages and steaks on the agenda, but why not try a pizza too?
“There was a point in my life where I lived without a “kitchen”. A�We were renovating, things were behind — like 3 months behind — and the fridge was full of grimy construction worker lunches way passed their prime. A�It’s during this point in my life that I really fell in love with barbecuing. A�I learned you can make anything–and make it better!–on a grill. A�Pizzas became a staple because they were quick and the guy up the block sold pre-made pizzaA�dough. A�Now that I have my dream kitchen, I haven’t kicked theA�grilling habit, nor do I want to! A�We just do it with even more flair! A�This combo of young swiss chard (which I grew myself, tank you very much!) and mushrooms is a classic. A�When I’m not stuffing it into ravioli, I’m putting it on pizza.”
Recipe: Chard & Mushroom Flatbread
Okay, so this is really just a fancy cheese-less, sauce-less pizza… but since you’re being fancy and making it on the grill, why not give it a fancy name too?
- 1 portion Taste Tested pizza dough
- 2 cups Ontario young swiss chard
- 1/2 red onion, slivered
- 3 Ontario king oysters mushrooms
- 3 Ontario maitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Ontario cold pressed canola oil
- 1 tsp maldon salt
optional: Monforte pecorino, to taste
- Turn on your BBQ! Heat ‘er up on high.
- Cut king oyster mushrooms into thick slices.
- Toss sliced king oysters and maitake mushrooms with 1/4 oil, season with salt and pepper.
- Place mushrooms on grill. Sear on each side until char marks form, approximately 2 minutes per side. Remove from grill, cool slightly and chop into bite sized pieces.
- Meanwhile, stretch pizza dough into large round until approximately 1/2 inch thick.
- Rub dough with remaining oil on both sides.
- *Flip* the dough from the board onto the hot grill. Grill until top has ‘set’, approximately 2 minutes.
- Using tongs, gently flip dough onto uncooked side.
- Immediately top with grilled mushrooms, fresh chard and slivered onions. Close the lid and cook until hard has wilted, approximately 4 minutes.
- Using tongs, pull finished pizza onto wooden board and serve immediately. Top with shaved Monforte pecorino if you so choose!
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
About Taste Tested
From the farm to the table, it�s easy to be inspired by Ontario�s endless parade of edibles. WithA�?Taste Tested?, OCTA�s staff are sharing their freshest finds and dishing outA�their favourites of the season. A�Come discover what�s on our table � literally!