At this time of year, an Ontario locavores green vegetable options are understandably limited. That shouldn’t stop you from getting your seven-a-day though!
Celeriac is a beautiful, unique winter vegetable. They store well, sweeten with time and can provide a refreshing earthy twist to your usual winter fare. Scrub your roots well and peel with a big knife. Don’t be afraid to lob off big pieces, the skin can be very tough. That being said, nothing worth having is easy — right?
- 2 slices thick country-style bread
- 8 Pristine Gourmet Cold-Pressed Virgin Sunflower Oil, divided
- 2 small Ontario celeriac roots, peeled
- ½ lemon, plus 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Ontario egg yolk
- 1 Ontario garlic clove, peeled
- 3 anchovy fillets, divided
- 4 stalks Ontario celery, sliced in half lengthwise, thinly cut on a diagonal
- 1 handful of celery leaves
- 1/2 cup Mountainoak Aged Gouda, shaved
- 1/4 cup Ontario dill fronds
- 4 strips of Ontario bacon, fried crisp
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°. Remove crust from bread and tear into bite sized pieces. Toss bread with 2 tbsp Pristine Gourmet Sunflower Oil on a rimmed baking sheet; season with salt. Bake, tossing halfway through, until golden brown and crisp, 8–10 minutes. Set aside to cool -- do not cover.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice celery root into thin matchsticks. We like a mandolin for this task. Place in a large bowl and cover with water; squeeze in juice from lemon to keep celeriac from going brown.
- Whisk together egg yolk, finely chopped garlic, lemon juice, and 3 anchovy fillet until smooth and substantially lighter in colour. Gradually drizzle in 6 tbsp oil while vigorously whisking. Continue to mix until pale and thick. Season dressing with salt and pepper.
- Drain reserved celery root and toss with sliced celery in a large bowl. Add celery leaves, gouda, croutons, and dressing and toss to combine. Garnish with crispy fried bacon and dill fronds.
About Taste Tested
From the farm to the table, it�s easy to be inspired by Ontario�s endless parade of edibles. With ?Taste Tested?, our staff are sharing their freshest finds and dishing out their favourites of the season. Come discover what�s on our table � literally!