We’re back with the latest #LocalDishTO recipe in partnership with LiveGreenTO! This time around, we’re celebrating all things orange (and red, and yellow, and purple too!) with the humble carrot. Carrots are great all season vegetables because they cold store beautifully and add a necessary fresh crunch to winter cooking.
This recipe comes from Chef Cassandra Rizzotto of #FeastON certified Earth+City in Toronto. It’s an unexpected blend of carrots, red cabbage and beetroot with fresh cilantro, mint and toasted almonds — a perfect lively accompaniment to winter roasts.
- 1 Ontario red chile finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Ontario apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium Ontario carrots, cut into very fine strips
- 1 1/2 cups of Ontario red cabbage, finely sliced
- 2 small Ontario red beets, peeled and cut into very fine strips
- 1/4 cup sliced + toasted almonds
- 2 tsp black sesame seeds
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup dill leaves
- salt to taste
- Combine sauce ingredients in a mason jar and shake.
- Prepare vegetables as directed.
- Toss vegetables in sauce and top with almonds, sesame seeds and fresh herb leaves.
- Serve immediately!
Share your favourite recipe featuring beets for a chance to win! Prize: $100 Gift Card for Earth + City!
If you love local food as much as we do, you’ll probably want to share your recipes just because you can, and because you understand the health and environmental benefits of locally-grown food. But we’re throwing in some rewards and prizes for good measure, because, well, we think you’ll like them! See additional details below.
You’re welcome to submit a recipe for any of The Local Dish all-stars at any time � the more the merrier. Each month, we will announce a new Ontario-grown fruit or veggie that’s abundantly available at that time and the list of all-stars just keeps growing.