Calling all sour seekers — today’s Taste Tested recipe features some seriously good nuts. This Asian inspired snack is sure to have you puckering in no time!
“We were so inspired by our recent roadtrip to Markham, we had to recreate our discoveries in the kitchen! A�These pickled peanuts, as it turns out, are a pretty standard Sechuan snack and are a great (and sour!) start to your next Asian feast! A�We used Ontario’s famous Picard’s Peanuts and the last of our autumn garlic.”
Recipe: Black Vinegar Peanuts
- 1 lb raw, skin on Ontario peanuts
- 2 cups black vinegar
- 3 tbsp of white sugar, heaping
- 3 star anise
- 1 tsp fennel seed, crushed
- 2 cloves Ontario garlic, whole
- Optional: 1 tsp Szechuan peppercorns
- Toast the fennel, anise and peppercorns in a cast iron till fragrant. Add peanuts.
- Cover with vegetable oil to coat. Add whole garlic cloves, fry until peanut smell fills the room.
- Meanwhile, whisk together vinegar and sugar.
- Remove peanuts from heat, drain excess oil and cool slightly.
- Cover with vinegar mixture and let sit 1 hour, up to over night.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6