Beau's Beer Braised Beef Taco
Write a review
- Equipment: Deep Pan for Braising (Deeper than height of roast), foil or tight fitting lid, wooden spoon
- 2lb Enright Cattle Company Ontario Beef for braising (outside round, short ribs) Brought to room temperature
- 1 Spanish Onion – peeled and large rough chop
- 1-2 Carrots – peeled and large rough chop
- 2 bottles (700ml) Beau’s Beer
- 1 liter Beef Stock
- 10mL Vegetable Oil
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Pre heat Oven to 290F.
- On high heat, preheat pan, add vegetable oil and sear beef on all sides until rich brown. (Note: Allow each side to sear before rotating; meat should release from the pan naturally. Adjust heat down slightly during process if meat starts to burn.)
- Remove beef from pan and set aside. Add onions and carrots to pan and cook until onions start to brown.
- Add ¼ bottle of beer to pan and scrap any stuck bits from the bottom of the pan with wooden spoon.
- Season beef with salt and pepper, turn down heat and add beef back to pan.
- Add the remaining beer and beef stock, cover with a tight lid or foil and allow to come to a simmer. (Note: Seasoning now instead of before searing prevents the pepper from burning.)
- Beer and stock should cover between ½ and ¾ of beef. Volumes may vary depending on size of pan and thickness of meat so some adjustment may be necessary.
- Place pan in oven cook 5 to 6 hours or until fork tender.
- Remove from oven and let meat rest in the pan with the liquid for 1 hour. (Note: The meat can be done a day in advance, leave it in the braising liquid until ready to use.)
- If allowed to cool completely, reheating until meat relaxes and can be pulled apart easily.
- Pull apart meat with a fork or fingers.
- Strain out liquid and reserve. Add ¼ of liquid in a sauce pot, place on medium heat and simmer until reduced by half.
- Add reduced liquid back to the pulled meat and season to taste.
Culinary Tourism Alliance https://ontarioculinary.com/