Everyone needs a fried rice recipe in their repertoire, and this breakfast inspired version has us hooked! The secret? Its all in the smokey, salty Ontario pork, runny egg yolk and the fermented funk of kimchi. Hashtag breakfastfordinner!
This is a great, quick and easy way to use up left over rice or other grains you may have kicking around the fridge. We like it just as much with kasha, quinoa or barley. The secret to good fried rice is starting with cold cooked grains, so keep that in mind next time you are cooking some!
- 2 strips of smoked Ontario bacon, diced
- 2 scallions, chopped, green parts reserved
- 1/2 cup kimchi with brine
- 1 cup cooked day-old rice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 Ontario egg
- Sauté bacon in a skillet over medium heat. Once brown and crispy, add chopped scallion whites to bacon and saute. Once softened, add chopped kimchi and brine. Cook until kimchi softens. Scoop out bacon mixture onto a paper-towel lined plate.
- Add day old rice to skillet. Fry until toast and slightly crisp. Add more oil if necessary. Add soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, rice vinegar, and mirin. Cook for a minute over high heat, tossing to combine. Re-add bacon mixture, toss to combine. Transfer to shallow bowl.
- Wipe skillet out with paper towel. Add 1 tsp of oil to cleaned skillet. Fry egg, sunny side up to desired firmness. Transfer egg onto rice.
- To serve, top with some toasted sesame seeds, and reserved scallion greens.
- Like it spicy? Add some sriracha!
About Taste Tasted
From the farm to the table, it�s easy to be inspired by Ontario�s endless parade of edibles. With ?Taste Tested?, OCTA�s staff are sharing their freshest finds and dishing out their favourites of the season. Come discover what�s on our table � literally!