At this time of year, we’ve got asparagus on the brain! We’re turning it into pickles and shaving it into salads. We’re grilling it galore and even oven roasting it — but for those scattered grey days, we’re turning into soup.
Our current soupy obsession comes to us from the kitchen team at Whirlpool Restaurant along the Niagara Parkway. They add Ontario cultivated shiitake’s and oyster mushrooms to give their asparagus soup an earthy richness. Bonus: this recipe is vegetarian friendly. Try it for yourself — or better yet, sip in on the patio at Whirlpool next time you’re in the area! They’re Feast On Certified after all.
- 1/4 cup Pristine Gourmet Cold Pressed Sunflower Oil
- 1lb Ontario Shiitake Mushrooms, stems removed, sliced thinly
- 1lb Ontario Oyster Mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 2 Ontario onions, diced
- 3L vegetable stock
- 3 Ontario potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4lbs Ontario asparagus. end cut off and tips cut into 1" pieces
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat, add half the oil and mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes until browned. Remove and set aside. Add remaining oil and sweat the onions.
- Add the vegetable stock and potatoes, bring to a boil and cook for ten minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add asparagus, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Puree until soup is completely smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper. Garnish each bowl with reserved mushrooms.
About Taste Tested
From the farm to the table, it�s easy to be inspired by Ontario�s endless parade of edibles. With ?Taste Tested?, OCTA�s staff are sharing their freshest finds and dishing out their favourites of the season. Come discover what�s on our table � literally!