When looking to grill the perfect steak, it’s best to consult the experts. So, when we wanted to up our grill game, we went straight to Meat Maker #4 at VG Meats, Kevin Van Groningen for tips and tricks for the perfect steak.
Turns out, grilling a Very Good steak is more than just a good cut of beef — though that definitely helps! Kevin suggests using a VG tenderness tested bone-in strip loin for a gas grill, about an inch and a half thick is ideal. The most important step for grilling a Very Good Steak? Let it rest for about 7 minutes after it’s done before slicing! Patience is key.
- 2 VG Meats Tenderness Tested, Bone-In, Ontario Striploins
- 2 tbsp Ontario cold pressed canola oil
- 1 tbsp coarse sea salt
- 1 tbsp Ontario butter
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp horseradish
- Preheat grill.
- Pat steaks dry with paper towel.
- Sprinkle liberally with salt on both side.
- Coat meat with cold pressed canola oil.
- Sear steaks approximately 3 minutes per side, flipping only once. Remove from heat and let rest for 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix horseradish, thyme and butter together in small bowl until smooth.
- Once rested, slice steak against the grain into half inch slices. Arrange in a cast iron pan, top with horseradish butter and serve!
About Taste Tested
From the farm to the table, it�s easy to be inspired by Ontario�s endless parade of edibles. With ?Taste Tested?, OCTA�s staff are sharing their freshest finds and dishing out their favourites of the season. Come discover what�s on our table � literally!