Every holiday season, Julia goes a bit nutty making tray upon tray of her favourite spiced nuts to share with friends and, luckily for us this year, the CTA family too!
“The search for the perfect hostess gift is officially over – these quick candied nuts are just the thing to win over your holiday crowd this year. I found the recipe on Smitten Kitchen (thanks Deb!) a few years ago and haven’t looked back. While she suggests mixing up your nuts, I’m partial to using Ontario walnuts whose craggy ridges are only too happy to be coated in a blanket of sugar and spice…and everything nice!”
Sugar & Spice’d Nuts
Want to take a different spice route? Try nutmeg or cardamom in place of the cinnamon, or swap rosemary in for the cayenne or paprika.
- 4 cups Ontario walnut halves (order yours from Grimo Nut Nursery)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt (I did half and half with Maldon)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or paprika
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Ontario egg white
- 1 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- Whisk together sugars, salt, spices and cinnamon, making sure there are no lumps.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg white and water until the mixture is frothy but not stiff.
- Add walnut halves to the bowl and stir to make sure nuts are evenly coated with the egg white mixture.
- Evenly fold in sugar mixture to the bowl of nuts, making sure the nuts are well coated.
- Spread nuts onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from oven and LET COOL. The urge to sample the nuts will be high at this point, but their internal temperature will be even higher – do your best to resist!
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8