This week, Julia’s shaking up a regal rosemary grape cocktail that’s perfect for holding court, no castle necessary.
“The crowning touch to the end of an Ontario summer is always the triumphant return of concord (or coronation) grapes. A�Given my allegiance to sparkling wine, this cocktail came together in one pop. A�Think of it as the classic champagne cocktail, the French 75, with a lovely, local twist.”A�
Recipe: Rosemary Concord Royale
I suspect the extra rosemary grape syrup would be great in a homemade Italian soda – especially if you happen to find yourself in recovery mode the next day!
- Fill cocktail shaker with plenty of ice. Add in gin, syrup and lemon juice. **you can also muddle unfrozen concord grapes in the shaker prior to adding the ice – I prefer to leave add them in whole at the end, as edible ice cubes**
- Shake well (20-30 seconds) and strain into a glass of your choice (coupe, highball, tumbler, mason jar, flute, goblet…you really can’t go wrong here).
- Top with sparkling wine.
- Garnish with grapes and a sprig of rosemary.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 1
Recipe: Rosemary Concord Grape Simple Syrup
- 1 cup Ontario concord grapes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 4 sprigs Ontario rosemary
- In a small saucepan, bring all the ingredients to a boil.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Strain liquid, removing grape skins and rosemary needles, and return to pan.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes to allow sauce to thicken.
- Let cool before using in cocktail **if using for dessert, pour directly onto ice cream!**
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8