Located at the southernmost tip of Ontario, Windsor is a hotbed of cultural and heritage attractions, natural beauty and a booming food and wine scene. For eating, drinking, shopping, touring or riverfront strolling, a trip to Windsor is a sure bet for a perfect weekend.
For the history buffs — Windsor is a goldmine! As a border settlement, it was a site of major conflict during the War of 1812, a major entry point into Canada for refugees from slavery via the Underground Railroad and a major source of liquor during American Prohibition. 90’s music fans will also delight in knowing The Tea Party calls this city home.
We all know the real reason you’re adding Windsor to your bucketlist — and that’s the food! There’s something for every taste in Windsor.
- The best way to really see a city is on foot – so start your tour of Windsor with your own two feet! Take a self-guided walking tour of the riverbank and look out across the Detroit River at our American neighbours. On the way, you can check out the picturesque Windsor Sculpture Park and the historic Dieppe Gardens.
- Once you’ve seen the riverfront sights, it’ll be time to grab some sustenance. The Downtown Windsor Farmers’ Market (Saturdays) and the Ford City Market (Sundays) are two great lunch options where you can revel in the glory of local goods. Fuel up with gourmet sausages, seasonal produce, scratch baking and artisanal cheese.
- After doing the rounds at the market, reward yourself with a tour at the Walkerville Brewery. In keeping with the tradition of the original brewery built in 1890 by Hiram Walker, the establishment still promises to brew an “honest beer”. Stop by the taproom and try samples of their Milk Stout, Loophole Ale, Geronimo IPA or Oktoberfest-style Honest Lager.
- When you’ve had your fill of local brew, it’s time for a little culture. Pay a visit to the Olde Walkerville Neighbourhood to walk the streets of a gorgeous garden community complete with well-preserved 19th-century row houses. But, if the weather isn’t cooperating, you can still get your culture fix at the quaint Art Gallery of Windsor.
- End your day in Ford City with a local meal at Rino’s Kitchen. With an ever-changing menu reflective of the seasons, get an authentic taste of place with their varied dining options. And don’t forget dessert!
You can head home happy, knowing you’ve experienced the natural beauty, culture and gastronomical pleasures of Windsor. Happy trails to you!