Norfolk County is a charming area a little more than two-hours from Toronto. Once tobacco ruled the local economy, but now ita��s Canadaa��s strawberry (and asparagus!) capital.
Did you know it is the top producing area for farm fresh produce in Ontario? No surprise we call it Ontarioa��s garden! Lately, local brewers and wineries have been popping up like mushrooms. All the right ingredients for a perfect weekend we would say.
Herea��s what our perfect weekend in Norfolk County looks like.
1. Awaken your inner Indiana Jones and book a wilderness suite at Long-point Eco adventures. Experience being in nature without missing out on the luxury. Staying here is always fun, because they organize a bunch of activities like axe throwing, ziplining, and kayaking tours. Our favorite is the apiary tour, just putting on that beekeeping suite makes it already worth it!
2. Looking for the ultimate Norfolk County restaurant experience? Head for Port Dover or Simcoe. If we had to pick one, we would advise you to try the Feast On certified Erie Beach Hotel. Go for their signature dish, fried lake perch.
3. After all that hard work, you could use a drink. The Blue Elephant Craft Brew House will quench your thirst with their cold craft beers. Get a local snack while youa��re there. More importantly, stock up on their newly awarded Summer Harvest Strawberry Lager!
4. If wandering around in lavender fields with a glass of wine sounds like fun to you, go to Bonnieheath Estate Lavender & Winery. Anita and Steve will be happy to show you around their farm. Take a guided tour or a self-guided one, ita��s all up to you. Go there (again) in July as you dona��t want to miss the annual Lavender Festival!
5. Sunday mornings are for brunch at David’s Restaurant. Enjoy a range of cocktail-accompanied craft dishes. There is no better reason to get out of bed!
6. After this brunch, youa��ll have enough energy to go for a walk and spot some birds at the Big Creek National Wildlife Area. The beautiful scenery will blow you away, it’s the perfect way to end your stay!
While in the area, make sure to seek out Pristine Gourmet’s virgin cold-pressed oils! They’re a unique taste of the region and a great treat to bring home for friends.