When we think about Midland, Ontario, the first thought that comes to mind is Ontario’s Best Butter Tart Festival — which happens early June, every year, and is totally worth a road trip! There’s plenty of non-butter tart related fun to be had in this Simcoe County spot though. From slow-start coffee-fueled mornings to afternoons spent meandering on the hunt for murals, it’s a great weekend getaway any time of year.
Here’s what our Perfect Weekend in Midland looks like, any time of year!
1. First of all, enjoy your drive there. Simcoe County is home to Barn Quilt Trail, which is easy enough to follow. It’s a self-guided tour composed of a series of trails wandering around the beautiful countryside of Simcoe County to celebrate agriculture in the area. Get off the 400 and explore.
2. Upon arrival, head for Grounded Coffee Co. on Bay Street for a Nitro Cold Brew and a house-made maple sandwich cookie. They also usually have some locally grown treats like garlic bulbs, kale and syrups on offer. In the warmer months, they’ve got a pop-up shop (in a big green bus!) they cart around to festivals and events — so keep an eye out.
3. Midland is home to a bustling marina. You can watch the sail boats come and go in summer months from The Boathouse Eatery behind Habourside Park.
4. If you like big (BIG) boats, meander your way out of town to Discovery Harbour. Discovery Harbour traces its roots back to the original British naval and military base in Penetanguishene, built to safeguard access to Upper Canada after the War of 1812. It’s home a number of tall ships you can explore!
5. For those wanting to stay in town, give yourself a couple hours to explore the 34 hand painted murals dotted around town. They depict the areas history, both new and old. Our favorite is ‘The Butcher Shop’ near Midland and Dominion Streets. There’s a handy PDF online to help guide you around from one to the other.
6. Make a point of visiting the team at Ciboulette et Cie. They curate one of the areas best tap list, including seasonals from local favorites like Side Launch Brewing and Redline Brewhouse. Sit down, enjoy a pint paired with one of there sandwich or salad specials. BONUS: There’s a second location coming soon.