The Kawarthas are home to some of the most picturesque vistas in Ontario. Nestled between a cluster of northern lakes, the area is home to a plethora of farmers, artists and adventurers.
More than just ice cream, there’s a ton of edible treats — both savoury and sweet! — in the Kawarthas. Lucky cottagers have been privy to the regions secrets for decades, but with a little ingenuity and some wheels, you can experience the splendor too!
So without further ado, our perfect weekend in the Kawarthas region:
1. Cottage-less food lovers flock to Elmhirst Resort on Rice Lake. More of a colony of lakeside cottages than a traditional resort, it’s owned by two brothers who grow their own food, raise their own cattle and serve up refined hospitality in the Feast ON certified Hearthside Dining Room.
2. Whether you’ve got two wheels or four, one of our favorite things to do in the Kawarthas is drive. Just pick a road (maybe one that leads to something delicious?) and meander your way down it. Especially at this time of year! The colours and scenery are stunning, and you’re sure to discover something delicious.
3. For those looking to pack their own lunch, head to the Farmers Market in Peterborough. It’s been around since 1825! From beef to buffalo, honey to maple syrup, or apples to sweet corn you’ll find it here and more.
4. After a bite or two, head north to the Gallery On The Lake. It’s one of Canada’s largest retail Art Galleries, and boasts a huge collection of modern, traditional and Inuit art– not to mention a fantastic lakeside view!
5. Hop heads need to stop into the Publican House Brewery. The brewery carefully produces six distinct styles — including two of our current Ontario pours: The Square Nail Pale Ale and the Stonewall Stout.
And did we mention buttertarts? With over 40 options for some sticky sweet love, there’s something for every nut AND raisin lover in the area! Check out The Butter Tart Tour for details!