With the Durham Festival quickly approaching, and it being National Picnic Month and all, we thought it’d be fun to run through our perfect weekend in Durham.
To celebrate this super important month– who doesn’t love eating al fresco?! — a team of more than 100 volunteers will build the picnic table with help from Habitat for Humanity Durham in an attempt to host the World’s Largest Picnic. The proposed 400 plus foot table � beating the world record of 394 feet � will accommodate more than 500 people!
But what does a perfect Durham picnic look like? Well, for us — it’s about visiting the areas many amazing producers and farmers to fill your basket.
- For the freshest veggies — the farm store at Zephyr Organics along Concession 4 can’t be beet! Fill your picnic basket with fresh grape tomatoes and a cantalope to boot!
- Stop in at Watson Farms for a pint or two of strawberries or crunchy apples. If you’ve got the time their U-Pick is a great activity to do with the kids.
- No picnic is complete without pie — and while Whittamore’s Farm Market has loads to choose from, we highly recommend the cherry pie! Add some preserves to mix while you’re all it, they go amazing with cheese.
- Pick up some beautiful Ontario cheeses at Country Cheese Company in Ajax – our favorites include the Oxford Street Buffalo Gouda from Quality Cheese and the Highland Blue from Back Forty Artisan Cheese.
- To round out this alfresco extravaganza, you’ll need some local libations. May we suggest Archibald’s Hard Core apple cider, or for the more adventurous types, the Canadian Kiwi made with Northern Kiwis? I think we may.
With the perfect picnic basket set and ready to go — there’s no excuse to not join in the fun! You can book your spot at the Durham Harvest Picnic Table here.