Looking for a place to stay? For those not camping, we recommend using Elmhirst Resort as a home base to explore the region. It’s a little out of the way, but it will give you chance to explore Peterborough and the surrounding area as well!
- Lazy River Tubing in Kawartha Highlands Provincial Park. Purchase tickets from the Buckhorn Tourist Welcome Centre then head to the edge of Kawarthas Highlands Provincial Park where you can have a peaceful float down the Mississauga River. At the end of the lazy river, there is also a waterfall where you can swim. If you’re travelling with kids, you will also be given a list of items at the end of the tubing experience for a scavenger hunt to find for the 600m walk to the start of the river. The items on this list describe how aboriginals used various items in nature for medicine and their livelihood.
- After a relaxing float down the Mississauga River, try a fun interactive wine tasting at Kawartha County Wine. As a fruit winery and cidery you can go in to try a wide variety of beverages. Your host will hand you a glass (many glasses!) as you try and guess which type of fruit is used in the wine!
- Next, make sure to stop by Burleigh Falls. Head south toward Lakefield and make a stop to see cascades of water that are formed between Lovesick Lake and Lower Buckhorn Lake.
- For lunch or (and!) dinner, stop by The Canoe and Paddle. This gastropub is know for local beers and replaced a local favourite –Hamblin’s Family Restaurant & Pizza & Ice Cream Parlour which once occupied this location for 27 years.
- For dessert, head to the Chocolate Rabbit. This chocolate and tea shop craft a wide variety of chocolates and create their own loose leaf teas. Enjoy a truffle and a cup of tea in their Mad Hatter Lounge.