This week, Julia’s dishing up a blue ribbon recipe, just in time for the Winona Peach Festival!
“There is really nothing better than biting into a juicy Ontario peach. But if you can keep the peach basket full long enough, this doubly delicious pie is definitely worth holding out for. A�I could never decide between baking a pie or a crumble…so now I just make both. A�And besides, it’s summer – it’s too hot to make tough decisions!”A�
A�Recipe:A�Maple Peach Crumble Pie
- 1 single crust pie dough (use your favourite recipe, I am pretty smittenA�with this one these days)
For The Filling:
- 6 cups of peeled, sliced Ontario peaches (8-10 peaches, accounting for snacking)
- 1/4 cup Ontario maple syrup (I used Fulton’s)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2-3 tbsp cornstarch (depending on juice factor of your peaches)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
For The Crumble:
- 1 cup large flaked or rolled oats (not instant)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4-1/2 cup sliced almonds (Ontario walnuts or pecans work well too!)
- 1/2 cup cold, cubed butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
1. Make the crumble: Combine oats, flour, nuts, sugar, salt and spices. Pulse in food processor for 15 seconds. Add in butter cubes and pulse again until large crumble clumps form. Place crumble mixture in fridge. **This step can be done by hand if you don’t have a food processor you’re still trying to justify purchasing last year**
2. Lightly flour a rolling pin and your work surface. Roll out pie dough to a 12-inch round. Transfer dough to 9 inch pie dish. Trim overhang and crimp edges. Place pie shell in freezer for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 400 F.
4. Make the filling: Toss together peaches, maple syrup, sugar, lemon juice and cornstarch. Let the mixture sit for 15 minutes to allow peaches to release their juices.
5. Remove pie dish from freezer. Using a slotted spoon, transfer peach mixture into pie shell.
6. Sprinkle crumble topping over peaches.
7. Bake for 20 minutes. A�Turn oven down to 350 F, continue baking for another 50-60 minutes. A�If crumble starts to burn, tent the pie with foil for the remainder of the cooking time.
8. Remove pie from oven. A�Let sit on cooling rack for 1 hour. A�Refrain from sampling until hour is up.
Preparation time: 1 hour(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s) 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8
About Taste Tested
From the farm to the table, it�s easy to be inspired by Ontario�s endless parade of edibles. WithA�?Taste Tested?, OCTA�s staff are sharing their freshest finds and dishing outA�their favourites of the season. A�Come discover what�s on our table � literally!